A great opportunity to acquire an old cottage for renovation in a small village near Graça, Pedrogão Grande, in sunny and peaceful setting reminiscent of old rural Portugal, surrounded by rustic cottages with small backyards and gardens with grazing farm animals yet within easy reach of the IC8 for access to the most important towns and landmarks of central Portugal.
This two-storey cottage has a huge potential for renovation/restoration. The urban title with a total area of 188 m2 comprises the old stone cottage with a footprint of 138 m3, a large stable, water tanks, a small barn, an animal pen and a traditional water well with a pergola; the whole was made completely private by the stone wall enclosing it. The outbuildings and the well stand on the inner courtyard, within the walled enclosure. A very large iron gate gives access to this inner courtyard from the street.
Outside this enclosure is a small plot with some fruit trees and a total area of 284 m2. The soil is fertile and suitable for a vegetable or indeed a flower garden.
Arranged over the ground-floor are 5 rooms once used as wine cellars, animal pens as well as storerooms for tool and food storage.
The first floor consists of two small bedrooms and two large sitting rooms – one with access to the loft. The suspended timber floors must be replaced throughout (although most beams may be saved) and the house reroofed.
Access to the first floor is by a stairway leading to a charming balcony on a concrete slab from which three doors give access to three separate areas: the kitchen on the left (also on a concrete slab and with a fireplace) and to the two large sitting-rooms respectively. There is another flight of stairs on the side of the house from which one of the sitting-rooms can also be entered.
This is indeed a renovation project but the stone walls are in good condition for a property possibly built at the turn of last century, even though registered in 1936.
– Less than 10-minute walk from local amenities: three coffee shops (one has a general store), a cashpoint, primary school, GP surgery, local park with fitness training equipment and a picnic area. At the weekend the butcher’s opens and there is a fruit and vegetable market. The hairdresser’s also opens twice a week. The local parish council has its headquarters in the village and opens on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
-The two nearest main towns, Figueiró dos Vinhos and Pedrógão Grande, also have supermarkets, pharmacies, GP surgeries, private clinics, a bus station, post office, bars, cafés and primary and secondary schools. In fact, everything you need can be found locally within four miles of the property and access roads are excellent with very low traffic.
– The IC8 road is only 3 miles away from the property for quick access to many local towns, cities and interesting landmarks:
* 30 minutes to Coimbra and Tomar
* 1 hour to Castelo Branco, Leiria, the Silver Coast and its beaches
* 2 hours from Oporto and Lisbon airports
* 4 hours from the Algarve
Viewing highly recommended!