A fantastic opportunity to purchase an old bakery for renovation with an interesting historical past, a treasure for lovers of Portuguese Industrial Archeology. Its imposing brick chimney, about four meters high, is the visible part of a huge bread oven and stands out in this small village of the municipality of Sardoal. A must see!
- Excellent location, in a village setting but not crowded by other buildings, with good access and in peaceful surroundings typical of small villages in central Portugal
- This old bakery is located on the edge of a traditional farmers’ market which takes place every Sunday morning. Here, local and regional products like bread, cheeses, sausages, cakes, fish, fruit and vegetables are sold to locals and visitors. The location is indeed an advantage to those interested in using this old bakery for comercial use.
- This bakery, built between the last quarter of the 19th Century and the beginning of the 20th Century, has almost entirely recoverable solid stone walls. However, the roof, timber frame and lintels must be replaced.
- The future of this building depends on the creativity and intentions of a suitable buyer who should ideally embark upon a sympathetic conservation and restoration project to bring it back to its former glory.
- This building could be converted for residential or comercial use, into an office, an artist’s studio, a potter’s studio, or used as workshop space. In fact the possibilities are endless! Please note that the mentioned possibilities will have to be approved by the planning department at Sardoal Council.
- A total area of 105 m2 (main building, annexes and oven room)
- Patio with 100 m2
- Main building with 70 m2, front and back door to the exterior, a door to one of the annexes, two windows and access to the large oven.
- Traditional gable roof
- The annexes have a total area of 15 m2. One has a mono-pitch roof, a small gap on a wall as a window, a door for access to the main building and another to the outside.
- The oven room has an area of about 20 m2 and a mono-pitch roof where the big chimney is located.
- A well
- Connection to the grid (mains water, electricity, sewage and telefone line) is possible.
- GP surgery, pharmacy and Parish Council – 100 metres
- A few hundred metres from a cooperative where traditional linen fabric is manufactured and bread and cakes are baked in traditional wood-fired ovens
- Sardoal (for all services and amenities) – 7 km
- N 2 – 4 km
- City of Abrantes/ A 23 North Abrantes Junction – 25 minutes
- Tomar- 35 minutes
- Lisbon – 1 ½ hours
- Nazaré (ocean beaches) – 1 ½ hours
- River beaches – 5 minutes to Rosa Mana, 10 minutes to Lapa, 20 minutes to Penedo Furado and other beaches on the banks of the Tagus or Zêzere rivers.