A superb opportunity to acquire a property with 40,000 m2, featuring the ruin of a stone house ideal for a renovation/reconstruction project to suit your taste and needs and harbouring a fascinating history and many interesting stories about its past. Its lost beauty, only to be imagined now, could be brought back to life with the right renovation project. Beautiful wide-open country views. A must see!
- Ruin with 45 m2 footprint and 90 m2 living space over two floors
- An annexe joined to the house providing an extra 30 m2 living area
- Total living area (ruin and annexe): 120 m2
- Doors on the ground floor and exterior stone stairs
- Straight and solid stone walls in good condition
- Partly walled
- Mains electricity close to the property, about 50 metres from the house
- Mains water about 250 metres from the property
- Access by a 1 km dirt road. The Municipality of Mação tends to be very cooperative when it comes to establishing new residents and very helpful in solving problems of this nature (e.g. improving access by resurfacing roads).
- Landscape composed by an almost flat terrain with gentle slopes and a steeper area leading to the 300-metre river front along the Ribeira de Mação bank
- An olive grove with 5,000 m2 with olive trees in full production
- 20,000 m2 with 4-year old eucalyptus trees
- 15,000 m2 with 15-year old maritime pine trees
- Eucalyptus and maritime pine trees are not protected by legislation. As such, they could be cut down for profit and the area reforested with native trees and shrubs such as oaks, strawberry trees and other Mediterranean species including medicinal and aromatic plants. There is also plenty of space for many other edible crops and for vegetable and flower gardens.
- Its sunny location, typical schist soil and local flora biodiversity explain the age-old use of this property by beekeepers. In fact, this property constitutes the ideal setting where to grow aromatic plants for the commercial production of essential oils, honey and beeswax products.
- The riverfront may benefit from landscaping. It already has some beautiful native trees but could be further reforested with more native riverside species such as alders, willows and weeping willows for optimal use of water resources and to create a more pleasant riverside area.
- Less than 1 km from Mação, an inland town in a region supported by an excellent road network and the A23 in particular.
- Close to all services and amenities: supermarkets, cafés, restaurants, tax office, swimming pools, etc.
- 6 km to A 23 Mação junction
- Castelo Branco – 35 minutes
- Abrantes – 20 minutes
- Lisbon – 1 ¾ hour
- Ocean beaches (Nazaré, Peniche) – 1 ½ hours
- River beaches (eg. Ribeira de Eiras, Ortiga, Alamal ) – between 10 and 30 minutes
An opportunity not to be missed!